Often referred to as a Retirement Visa, it is usually shown on Thai Embassy/Consulate websites as being a “Long Stay” Visa because upon arrival in Thailand, the holder will be admitted to stay for one year from the date of entry or until the date their approved health insurance policy expires.

This Visa can be obtained only from the Thai Embassy/Consulate from your country of residence.

To qualify for this category visa, you must meet the age and financial resource requirements for retiring in Thailand. Holders of this category of visa are not permitted to work.

Please CLICK HERE to check our Latest Thai Immigration Information page for updates or temporary changes that are not included in these pages.

What are the requirements for the category O-A Visa?

Applicant must be at least 50 years of age and meet one of the following financial requirements:

  • Have at least the equivalent of 800,000 baht on deposit in the bank.
  • Have a monthly income equivalent to at least 65,000 baht per month.
  • Have funds on deposit plus monthly  income that combined will at least equal the equivalent of 800,000 baht.

Applicant must also furnish a Medical Certificate stating they are free of certain diseases/conditions and a Police Report that the applicant has no criminal record.

Applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the equivalent of 3,000,000 baht coverage. The insurance for obtaining the Visa does not have to be from a Thai company provided the health insurance company will provide the required Foreign Insurance Certificate. However, this is not the case for extensions of stay - see below.

To determine the specific documents required to meet these requirements, visit the Embassy/Consulate website where you will apply.

Visit this website http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/ for a list of Thai Embassy/Consulates with link to their website.

How long can I stay in Thailand and how many times can I enter using the Category O-A Visa?

Normally upon entry to Thailand, the permitted stay is one year from date of entry. The O-A Visa should have a validity period of one year from date of issue. Further, they are usually Multiple entry which means you may leave and re-enter Thailand as many times as you wish during the validity period of the Visa. Even if you arrive on the last day of the validity period, you would normally receive another one-year permitted stay.

For example, an O-A Visa issued on October 1, 2019, would be valid until September 30, 2020 (Enter by date on the Visa) - entering Thailand on September 30, 2020, the permitted stay would be until September 29, 2021.

However, effective for Category O-A Visas issued on or after October 31, 2019, the rules have changed.  The permitted stay is limited to the period of health insurance coverage, which the Embassy/Consulate should note in your passport next to the Visa.

For example, an O-A Visa issued on November 1, 2019, would be valid until October 31, 2020 (Enter by date on the Visa). If the health insurance cover ends on October 15, 2020 - entering Thailand on on December 1, 2019, the permitted stay would be until October 15, 2020 rather than November 30, 2020. Likewise, any subsequent entry during the validity period will also be limited to one year or the end of health insurance coverage, whichever is earlier.

Can my spouse or dependent children also enter Thailand?

Yes. The applicant's spouse or dependent children (under 20 years of age) may apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa and receive a 90 day permission to stay upon entry into Thailand. They will then need to go to Thai Immigration and apply for a dependent extension of stay which will correspond to their spouse/parent's category O-A permission to stay. No additional financial resources  are needed and no health insurance is required for a dependent extension.  The application will be need to be submitted with the application for the category O-A Visa along with marriage license for spouse and/or birth certificate(s) children.

Can I extend the Permission to Stay within Thailand?

Yes, you can apply for a one year extension at a Thai Immigration Office within Thailand.  However, Thai Immigration requires the health insurance policy to be from a Thai company listed on the Thailand General Insurance Association (TGIA) website. Currently, there are no exceptions to this rule.

NOTE: If you enter Thailand on Visa Exempt or Tourist status and meet the requirements for retiring in Thailand, you can apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa (this is not an O-A Visa) - click here for requirements.

Also, for extensions of the "O" Visa, there is no health insurance requirement

You can also apply for the "O" category Visa for purpose of retirement at a Thai Embassy/Consulate, but they may require health insurance to get the visa - Thai Immigration does not require it for extending the permission to stay period.

Find us on:

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software